Dubai is fast becoming one of the most popular tourist destinations and there is no wonder. With the crazy amount of things to do here and the year round sunshine, why wouldn’t you want to come to Dubai. Seasoned Dubai visitors may want to take it to the next step and tie the knot here. So let’s find out How to Get Married in Dubai!
Can You Legally Get Married in Dubai?
First of all, if you are of the same sex, then getting married in Dubai is not possible I am afraid.
When looking into Dubai’s marriage process, you may feel overwhelmed. You absolutely can get married in Dubai but there are some steps, conditions, and precautions you will need to take.
First of all, the bride and groom must be at least 18 years old and have identification. Likewise, two witnesses will be required who must also provide some form of ID.
Next, you should contact the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates to learn what documents you will need and they can help you work through the tricky process!
Can Foreigners Get Married in Dubai?
Foreigners certainly can get married in Dubai, but the legal requirements still apply. In order for foreigners to get married, they must register the marriage with the Sharia court or the embassy which applies to them. Documents may take some weeks to go through.
One of the main things to remember here is that either the Groom, the Bride or the Bride’s Guardian must have an Emirates ID Card. This is the most crucial thing to know when considering to get married in Dubai.
Furthermore, if the spouses-to-be are of different religions, this may cause some mild difficulties, which are best discussed with the embassy.
Can Indians Get Married in Dubai?
Indians can get married in Dubai, but there are different rules which will apply. These rules will also apply to Filipinos. The main thing for Indians to marry in Dubai is for at least one of the Indian partners to be a citizen of the UAE. For more information follow this link.
The key requirements are a Joint Affidavit Form, a Marriage Announcement Form, a Marriage Application Form from each spouse, and a Report of Marriage. However, other requirements to prove identity and parental consent will be applied.
Muslim Expats Getting Married in Dubai
Muslim Expats must abide by further rules when wanting to get married in Dubai.
- Firstly, the marriage contract must be registered in a Sharia court.
- The legal age of 18 still applies to both the bride and groom. A spouse must also not be twice the other’s age.
- A Muslim woman will need her guardian’s consent.
- The bride’s father or representative must attend. If the father is not alive, the bride’s closest male kin must attend.
- Please note, at least one member in the marriage contract must have a valid UAE residence visa.
- Two Muslim male witnesses must attend.
- Widows or divorcées must have proof of their status.
- If the Muslim bride’s father is not a Muslim, a ‘No Objection’ certificate must be obtained from her UAE consulate or embassy.
Non Muslim Expats Getting Married in Dubai
Non-Muslim expatriates can get married in the UAE, but the rules of their home country will apply. To get married in Dubai, non-Muslim expats must:
- Have two witnesses for the wedding.
- The couple must both be at least 18 years old.
- Provide identifying documents including a birth certificate and passport
- Provide evidence of their UAE residence visa.
What Documents are Needed to Get Married in Dubai?
The documents required to get married in Dubai will vary depending upon the couple’s circumstances. Generally, for most circumstances, the couple will need to provide:
- The bride’s consent to marriage.
- A pre-marital screening certificate from the Department of Health.
- Valid passports and birth certificates.
- Visa status of the couple.
- Relevant residence visas, if applicable.
- The couple’s Emirates IDs.
However, this is not exclusive as there will be other requirements depending on the couple’s status, so it is always best to check with the embassy or courts.
How Much Does it Cost to get Married in Dubai?
Marriage costs will, as always, vary drastically! It is not all about the big day, do not forget about the documents you may require, travel, and accommodation, to name a few!
Many hotels in Dubai offer wedding packages at reasonable rates. However, you need to factor in travel and accommodation costs on top. Then again, you are going to save the cost of a honeymoon as you’re already in Dubai!
For more information on Where to Get Married in Dubai and the cost of getting married in Dubai check our other article here.
Can you Renew Your Vows in Dubai?
Ever thought of renewing your vows under the romantic Dubai sunset? Renewing your vows in Dubai is quite a popular option for couples due to the warm sandy beaches and oceanic scenery. There are plenty of options for renewing vows which can be arranged with your hotel or minsters and no complicated rules or documents apply!
Dubai may have a lengthy marriage process with a range of requirements, but the options to make your wedding day a magical spectacle are endless! From peaceful beaches to grand hotels to tranquil gardens, Dubai has a lot of different sceneries for you to savour the treasured memories of your special day.
Thanks for reading about How to Get Married in Dubai. For everything Dubai & Abu Dhabi check our blog posts here. You can also follow us on Facebook and Pinterest and subscribe to our channel on Youtube.