Located on the outskirts of Abu Dhabi, Al Maqta (meaning section or passage) is a gated residential community sprawling along the Al Maqta Channel. Previously known as Bain Al Jessrain (meaning Between the Two Bridges), this area is one of Abu Dhabi’s key residential localities and home to some of the city’s spectacular landmarks including the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.
This prestigious gated community of Abu Dhabi combines everything to ensure comfort, style and safety for the residents. In this guide, we share a detailed Area Guide of Al Maqta, so that you know why it’s is one of the best places in Abu Dhabi to live.
Where is Al Maqta In Abu Dhabi?
Overlooking the 19th Century Al Maqta’a Tower and Fort, the swanky locality of Al Maqta gated community sits between the Mussafah Bridge and Al Maqta Bridge. The strategic location actually makes this locality famous with the name of Bain Al Jessrain or ‘Between the Two Bridges’.
A 15 minute drive along Al Khaleej Al Arbi Street from Abu Dhabi will get you to the Al Maqta area. Being this close to the city, Al Maqta has been fast emerging as one of the most sought after residential areas in Abu Dhabi.
Who Prefers To Live In Al Maqta?
The gated community of Al Maqta is a family-friendly residential area located not too far away from the city centre of Abu Dhabi. The area is dotted with a wide range of apartments and private villas. The area is immensely popular among higher-income group families looking for a peaceful abode.
Al Maqta also features many single-room apartments which are perfect for bachelors and bachelorettes, meaning you don’t need to invest heavily to have a place in Abu Dhabi.
Local Amenities in Al Maqta
Living in Al Maqta allows you to have a blissful life. This gated community comes with lots of urban amenities so that you never feel the urge to leave the area. Below are all the essential amenities that you will find in the Al Maqta area.
Schools and Colleges
Let’s start with the schools in and around Al Maqta community. Parents of pre-schoolers have plenty of good options to avail a systematic and modern education. There are a string of reputed nurseries in the neighbourhood including:
- Stepping Stones Nursery
- International Montessori Nursery
- Bright Kids Nursery
The community of Al Maqta never gives you much trouble to choose the best school for your kids. You can choose from a number of world-class schools from its neighbourhood and dropping your children at school will be a maximum of a 15-minute drive. Some of the most popular in the area include:
- ADNOC Schools Sas Al Nakhl in Sas Al Nakhl Village
- Hunain School Abu Dhabi Gate City
- Al Yasmina Academy in Khalifa City A
The area also comes with the Darweesh Bin Karam School which is considered to be one of the best in Abu Dhabi. Alternatively you can send your children to Sheikh Hamdan Bin Muhammed Al Nahyan Quran Memorization Centre in Maqta Abu Dhabi.
Apart from schools, Al Maqta locality also showcases the Khalifa University’s SAN Campus. This is surely one of the best university campuses in Abu Dhabi and can be found just opposite Al Maqta Bridge. The Petroleum Institute of Khalifa University is also at Al Maqta.
Clinics and Hospitals
Al Maqta has a whole host of top class medical facilities in the area too. The most prominent medical facility from the area is the Al Maqta Healthcare Centre. This multi-speciality clinic is best to treat almost every sort of ailment. Their team of doctors are well-qualified and immensely dedicated.
There are many other clinics in Al Maqta where you can visit in case of any health issues:
- Dr Fawzia Khalfan Medical Centre
- Doctor Sherif Mattar Specialized Centre
- Bain Al Jessrain Pharmacy
- Al Maqta Clinic
- ADNOC Clinic
- Danat Al Emarat 24×7 Outpatient Clinic
- Danat Al Emarat Hospital
Al Maqta community doesn’t have any tertiary care hospitals but here are some from neighbouring areas:
- Mediclinic Airport Road Hospital: 5 minutes away from Al Maqta, located inside the Zayed Sports City.
- Danat Al Emarat Hospital for Women and Children: As the name declares, this is a speciality clinic to treat children and women healthcare issues. Located in Abu Dhabi Gate City community, this clinic can be reached within 5 minutes from Al Maqta.
Al Maqta locality features a number of good places of worship and mosques across the region. When we are talking about mosques, you have plenty of options including:
- Sheikh Shakhboot Bin Sultan Mosque
- Sheikh Hamdan Bin Muhamad Al Nahyan Mosque
- Bani Hasim Mosque
- Khalifa Ghaith Mosque
- Gharibah bint Rashid Mosque
- Khalifa Ahmed Jabara Murar Mosque
You can access all of these mosques within a few minutes even if you choose to walk.
Other Places of Worship In Al Maqta
Al Maqta community believes that no one should feel left out when it comes to following their religion. As many expats made Al Maqta their home, a string of churches, temples and gurudwaras popped up in the neighbouring areas too.
Prominent churches near Al Maqta are:
- The Armenian Church of Abu Dhabi
- Abu Dhabi Assembly of God Church
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Most of these churches are closely packed in the neighbouring area of Mussafah.
There are no Hindu temples in and around Abu Dhabi but the city does plan to build one by the end of 2021. until that time, Hindu devotees can find their solace by visiting the Al Souk Al Kabir area in Dubai. This is the nearest place to Adu Dhabi with a few Hindu Temples.
The New Gurudwara Abu Dhabi in Mussafah is the only gurudwara in the city and it is a 10-minute drive from Al Maqta.
Everyday essentials can be obtained easily from the supermarkets in Al Maqta. When you are a resident of Al Maqta community, you are entitled to get the best of everything and it’s true when it comes to groceries and household products. Here are the notable supermarkets from Al Maqta community including the nearby areas.
- Bain Al Jesrain Co-Operative Society: This place is a fantastic supermarket also serving as a departmental store. This is surely the best go-to location for Al Maqta residents in Abu Dhabi. You can spot this centrally-located supermarket right next to the Bain Al Jessrain Families Garden.
- Souq Planet: This is another top-favourite supermarket with a very modern look and concept. This is the first-in-class in the region that introduced digital shopping to the residents of Al Maqta community. Shoppers can either choose their scanning device or use their app to self scan the products and then head straight to the counter. You can also shop online and collect the items in-store or get the products delivers to your doorstep. Souq Planet is best known for maintaining a wide variety of imported items, healthy and fresh produce.
Apart from these two massive supermarkets, Al Maqta showcases many other popular choices:
- Khalid Al Hamar Baqala
- Al Haji Ahmed Supermarket
- Baqalat Al Maqta
- Green Villa Baqala
- Osama Baqala
- Bainal Jusrain
You can also venture out for your daily essentials to Spinneys and Castlerock Supermarket from nearby Sas Al Nakhl Village.
Areas Close to Al Maqta
If you take a glance at the neighbourhood areas around Al Maqta community, you will immediately know how great it is. Al Maqta is literally a bridge away from the heart of Abu Dhabi. Zayed Sports City, lying west of the Al Maqta area is closely connected to it. Visiting Zayed Sports City is just a matter of a few minutes drive from Al Maqta.
To the south, you will see Abu Dhabi Gate City rubbing its shoulder with Al Maqta. Further down is Mussafah neighbourhood. The Eastern border of Al Maqta community is guarded by Sas Al Nakhl Village, Khalifa City A and Al Raha Golf Gardens.
When it’s about shopping your heart out, Al Maqta presents you with a number of wonderful options. The best shopping malls around the area are:
The Souk at Qaryat Al Beri: This one of the best as well as modern souks in the city of Abu Dhabi. Located to the west of Al Maqta, this souk is only a short drive away from the southern part of the community. The Souk offers a great collection of varied products that you will love to shop in.
Al Seef Village Mall: For a grand shopping experience, Al Seef Village Mall on Al Salam Street is the best option you have in Al Maqta. The mall is around a 10-minute drive from the community. This shopping mall comes with numerous retail shops along with an outdoor market. At this outdoor market, you can also choose from various dining outlets for a satisfying meal.
Some other malls near to Al Maqta include:
If your tastebuds are in love with food, then Al Maqta can make you fall for its fabulous food scene. This area is particularly known for its traditional as well as experimental cuisines served at a hoard of restaurants. From fast-food chains to authentic Emirati dishes – everything is served at the restaurants in Al Maqta.
Some of the most popular dining options around Al Maqta area include:
- The Meat Co
- Azzurro for Italian Cuisine
- Sho Cho for exotic sushi dishes
- Itran for Moroccan delicacies
Venetian Village is a fabulous food hub with plenty of fine-dining options. This is basically a part of the Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal. The most sought-after restaurants from it are:
- La Brassiere
- Indian Punjab Grill
- Barfly by Buddha Bar (This is best known for its pocket-friendly Christmas brunches, seasonal dishes and lip-smacking deserts)
- The Forge Steakhouse
- Asian Li Jang Restaurant for Chinese cuisines
- Mijana for Lebanese fine-dining
For fast-food eateries, you better go to the petrol pumps in Al Maqta area. You will have almost every global name there. Best fast-food chains in Al Maqta include:
- Burger King
- Texas Chicken
You can also of have a wide range of choices when it comes to casual dining restaurants in and around Al Maqta. Notable names include:
- Al Sayyad Restaurants & Grills
- Bait Ommy
Nightlife in Al Maqta
Although Dubai has undoubtedly the best options to plan an exuberating night-out, that doesn’t essentially mean that you can’t have one in Al Maqta area. Hotels near the community come with various choices like:
- Grand Canal
- Al Hanah Bar
- Sorso Lounge
- Qaryat Al Beri
- Belgian Beer Café
- Al Naseem Pool Bar
Hotels In Al Maqta
At Al Maqta area, there is no dearth of hotels and resorts. If you are visiting Al Maqta, you can book your stay with any of them. Ranging from standard rooms to luxury suites, you can pick as per your requirements and budget. The most eminent ones are mentioned here:
- Hotel Fairmont Bab Al Bahr: This 5-star hotel sits just in front of the beach in Abu Dhabi offering a breath-taking view of the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. It houses 369 suites and guestrooms to accommodate a large number of people. With Hotel Fairmont Bab Al Bahr, guests can also plan a fabulous (and of course luxurious) wedding or a relaxing corporate meeting as it offers 6 different meeting venues, a massive ballroom, sprawling outdoor lawn and a beach venue. Prices start from AED 350 per night.
- Shangri-La Hotel Apartments Qaryat Al Beri: Another world-class 5-star hotel in Al Maqta. The hotel consists of 160 guestrooms which are well-equipped with all essential facilities. Arabic architecture of the hotel is simply awe-inspiring. Here you can enjoy a buffet breakfast, room service, poolside bar, 5 meeting rooms, 2 outdoor pools, 24×7 business centre and more. Room rent starts from AED 700 per night.
- Traders Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri: This 4-star hotel is a very good choice for travellers looking for a reasonably priced stay in Al Maqta. With a private beach and a CHI spa, this place guarantees a blissful stay. All 301 guestrooms of the hotel are spacious enough to cater your need. You can enjoy here all-day dining at Afya Restaurant whilst the Pool Bar and Lobby Lounge are also open 24/7. Room rent starts from AED 250 per night.
Beaches Near Al Maqta
Potential Residents of Al Maqta will be pleased to hear that the area has a beach, Abu Dhabi Beach. Sections of the beach are privately owned by the sea front hotels, although there is still plenty of space to relax for day trippers too.
Living at Al Maqta instantly brings you closer to a series of spectacular landmarks of the region.
- Al Maqta Bridge: This is the most iconic landmark that also connects Abu Dhabi to the mainland. Since 1967, this bridge has played a significant role in the development and progress of Abu Dhabi. Al Maqta Bridge looks stunning at night when its reflection creates magic over the water of Khor Al Maqta Canal.
- Al Maqta Fort: This 200-year old monument is undoubtedly one of the most fascinating parts of UAE’s history and heritage. It is an enigmatic historical landmark that used to defend the country against bandits. Al Maqta Fort gives you a wonderful opportunity to click stunning photos filled with rustic charms.
- Khor Al Maqta: Khor Al Maqta is a historic waterway which has become a renowned tourist hotspot in recent times. This ancient waterway literally keeps Abu Dhabi away from the mainland. A stroll along this beautiful waterway will allow you to spot the Al Maqta Fort and Al Maqta Watchtower from any side.
- Al Forsan International Sports Resort: This place is just a 15-minute drive away from Al Maqta. If you are a water baby, then Al Forsan International Sports Resort will fill your days with a hoard of electrifying water as well as motor activities. This sports resort is the first to introduce a water cable park system in the whole of the Middle East. You can also try a full range of exciting sports activities including horse riding, show jumping and polo. The Kart Circuit of the resort is also available to host birthday parties and corporate events.
Parks and Playgrounds
Al Maqta is a wonderful residential area to live with kids and grandparents. To take care of your whole family, the area comes up with many well-maintained parks and playgrounds. Bin Al Jessrain Families Garden, Located at the heart of Al Maqta community is the most visited park in the locality.
Residents of Al Maqta can also visit Khor Al Maqta Park and Al Khaleej Al Arbi Park 5 from the neighbourhood community of The Hills Al Maqta.
If you are serious about your personal health and wish to join a fitness centre, Al Maqta can help you with a number of good options like:
- Lion Gym
- Junior Gym
- Tone Fitness Studio
All these gyms are well-equipped with modern machineries and experienced trainers. These gyms are located inside the premises of Bain Al Jessrain Families Garden.
For more on gyms check our guide to Outdoor Gyms in Abu Dhabi.
Spas and Salons
The neighbourhood of Al Maqta community gives you plenty of choices when it comes to plan a pampering session or a day-out in the spa.
For a deluxe spa session, you can head any of the following:
- Qaryat Al Beri
- The Spa at Shangro-La
- ESPA at Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi
Other popular options from the area include:
- Papecha Spa Beauty Centre
- Flair Ladies Beauty Centre
- Le Beautique Spa Centre
- Nona Colonna Ladies Salon
Public Transportation Facilities in Al Maqta
Public transportation facilities across Al Maqta are not exceptional but you can make a good use when you want to save some money. The 56 Bus Route takes you to Al Maqta Village which sits pretty close to Al Maqta community. Via Khaleej Al Arabi Street, commuters can reach Downtown Abu Dhabi in just 15-20 minutes depending on traffic. As public transportation is not very well-spread across Abu Dhabi, hiring a taxi or private car is the best way to roam around.
In spite of having a low volume of traffic, Al Maqta doesn’t have many paid parking spaces. If you are a visitor to Al Maqta, you may have a hard time to find a paid parking space to keep your vehicle. Only villas in Al Maqta come with multiple reserved parking spaces. Residents from various apartments are usually allotted with one parking space per unit.
Properties In Al Maqta
Abu Dhabi is progressing rapidly and individuals are preferring more every year to live in Abu Dhabi. If you take the Al Maqta area, it features various sub-communities backed by urban facilities like clubhouses, swimming pools, gyms, spa’s, restaurants, malls and more.
Houses in Al Maqta feature a pleasant mix of modern design and traditional Emirati architecture. Most of the villas sport a sperate majlis, fully-equipped kitchen, terraces, garden and utility room.
Properties offering mesmerizing coastal views are highly priced as expected. You can choose from studio apartments to 3-BHK units depending on your requirements.
A few penthouses are available for rent in Al Maqta and they are primarily available in Al Maqta Village.
How Much Does It Cost To Live in Al Maqta?
Al Maqta has already established itself as one of the swankiest areas in Abu Dhabi. Not just Emirati people but expats prefer to buy or rent a property here. The proximity to Abu Dhabi makes it possible to commute daily to and from Al Maqta. Let’s check out the latest rental trends in this beautiful residential community.
|Villa Type||Average Rental Price|
|7-Bed||Above 280,000 AED|
This gives a clear idea that living in Al Maqta is going to be a costly affair but if you compare the prices with prime locations of Abu Dhabi or Dubai, you may find them quite reasonable.
What Are The Popular Communities In Al Maqta?
Here are the most popular communities in Al Maqta –
- Hills Abu Dhabi
- Al Maqta Village
- Abu Dhabi Creek Business Resort
Reasons To Live In Al Maqta Abu Dhabi
Al Maqta is becoming an increasingly popular residential area for higher income group Emirati and expats. We have jotted down a few strong reasons to make Al Maqta your abode.
- Locality of Al Maqta is so peaceful that you may forget what noise feels like.
- Al Maqta community takes great pride in developing a residential area which is family-friendly.
- This part is thinly populated which means you and your family can enjoy a private life without interference from too many people.
- All sorts of urban facilities including hospitals, clinics, gyms, parks, restaurants, malls, spas, hotels, supermarkets etc are within your reach.
- Abu Dhabi is coming up with loads of lucrative career opportunities and living in Al Maqta allows you to grab those opportunities.
- This area is the home to many celebrated tourist destinations like Al Maqta Fort, Sheikh Zayed Bridge, Al Maqta Bridge, Zayed Sports City and fabulous Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.
- Your property in Al Maqta will surely earn good return for you in the future.
What To Visit In Al Maqta?
With plenty of popular and fascinating tourist places in and around, Al Maqta is ideal for planning a rewarding day-out. The best tourist attractions are:
- Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque
- Al Maqta Fort
- Al Maqta Bridge
- Zayed Sports City
- Al Maqta Village
- Sheikh Zayed Bridge
- Souk al Qaryat Al Beri
- Khor Al Maqta Waterway
Q. How far is Al Maqta from prominent landmarks of Abu Dhabi and Dubai?
Distance of Al Maqta from the following prominent landmarks are as follows:
- From city centre of Abu Dhabi – 18 Kilometres via Al Khaleej Al Arabi Street
- From JBR Dubai – 105 kilometres via E11
- From Downtown Dubai – 125 kilometres via E11
Q. Which are the closest beach to Al Maqta Abu Dhabi?
Abu Dhabi Beach is located in Al Maqta, but Yas Beach is also close by.
Q. Is Al Maqta a child-friendly community?
With lots of parks and playgrounds around, Al Maqta is more than perfect for your child to enjoy a wonderful childhood.
Q. Is Al Maqta noisy?
Not at all. This community is exceptionally peaceful with some rare sound from construction work and cars.
Al Maqta is one of the most sought after locations to live in Abu Dhabi and there is no wonder why.
Thanks for reading! Make sure to come back for more on Dubai & Abu Dhabi. Also, follow us on Pinterest and Subscribe to our Youtube channel too.